Apostrophe Catastrophe by Patrick C Notchtree

frontcoverThe apostrophe must be the most misunderstood and misused piece of punctuation in the language. This is made worse by the fact that most people simply fail to understand what it does, and make it unnecessarily complicated. The result is that many people, in an effort to appear correct, use a scattergun approach, dropping in apostrophes every time the letter “s” ends a word, for plurals, possessives and contractions alike.

In fact, using the apostrophe correctly is easy – once you know the rule!

Notice I say, “the rule”. Despite the confusion about this and many variations, there is in fact just one place where an apostrophe is used. Just one. It really is easy to remember.


About The Author

Patrick is a retired head teacher who taught many children, mainly Year 6 (aged 10-11), this method over many years and 90% of them have “got it” immediately and never get it wrong again. Sadly the other 10% would probably never “get it”, at that age anyway. Explaining something in written form is not the same as interactive teaching, where the listeners respond and the teacher can adapt as they go along. He has tried to take this step by step and cover all the angles, but it means there is a lot of reading to do. Please be patient.

Patrick is married and lives in the north England and has two children and four grandchildren.



Amazon UK
Amazon US

Leave a Reply